Development of my project

With the deadline just around the corner I finished drafting and ready to submit the project I was carrying out throughout the media 2 module. While redrafting for the last time, I aimed to get rid of unnecessary words and sentences in order to control the tone throughout my work. I also looked at minimalism as a literary device. 

'Minimum is both an ending and a beginning, the terminus of patient processes of simplification reduction, exposition, intensification and clarification.' (Botha, 2017)


  Will You Please Be Quiet,Please? (Carver, 2014),
                                       What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (Carver, 2009)   


Also, while working on my story I was reading two short story collections written by Raymond Carver: Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? and What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. Reading these collections greatly informed me of Raymond Carver's work and gave me inspiration when editing my own work. I was interested by minimalism in his stories and wished to applied to my own work.


'What creates tension in a piece of fiction is partly the way the concrete words are linked together to make up the visible action of the story. But also the things that are left out, that are implied, the landscape just under the smooth ( but sometimes broken and unsettled) surface of things.' (Carver, 1985) 

Similarly, in my work, I tried to pay close connection to the words and their order. I consider what could be implied and ways to achieve it. In the next blog post, I will present the link to my website where you can read my finished work. 

References: 

Marc Botha (2017) A Theory of Minimalism. London, UK: Bloomsbury Academic. Available at: http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.dmu.ac.uk/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip,shib&db=e000xww&AN=1577261&site=ehost-live (Accessed: 1 June 2021).

Carver, Raymond (1985). ‘’On Writing.’’ Mississippi Review 14, no. ½, 46-51. Accessed June 1, 2021. http://www.jstor.org/stable/20115383.

Carver, R., 2014. Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?. New York: Yilin Press.

 Carver, R., 2009. What we talk about when we talk about love. London: Vintage Books.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1986